Tuesday, March 20, 2012

a beginners question about linking data

I have just started (yesterday) to use Crystal Reports. I'm almost embarest to ask this question, it may be a simple step or it maybe impossible.

I'm trying to make a report that will show a trend over three months.
My question is, I have a folder named "database", in that folder are 500 folders. Each folder is a workorder that has going through the plant. Can I pull data out of each of these 500 folders into one report? If so could someone point me in the right direction. I can get the data from one of the work order folders but don't know how to get it from all of them.

The database folder contains two .db files, two .px files and one .net file, and the other 500 folders. the work order folders, contains 16 .db files, 16 .px files (there all refre to different processes in the workorder), one .ini file, and one .mb file.

And the database is on my harddrive.

any advise would be apreciated.I'm afraid that you have to develop a small application to read the data from all the folders and save it in a new file and then use crystal reports

By the way, your data is a paradox database|||That's what I was afraid of. Could you tell what kind of application it would be? If I knew what it was, there maybe something in the appliction that we use to collect the data. It already has templates for crystal reports for a single work order, this I found by digging around in application files.

I knew the database was a paradox from reading the help files in crystal, but I don't really know that must (yet) about databases.

Thanks jggtz of the reply.|||Would I need something like MySQL?|||My advice is that you find help close around you from somebody that already know some programming language, like Visual Basic, to help you to develop that small an easy application that collect data from all the desired folders and print the reports
Or
As you said before, maybe there is an "Export" option in the application you use to collect data and that could be helpful if it has the right features
Or
If you want to work a liitle more, you can attach (link) to Access all the neccesary .db files and manually (or by a sql query) append all the data into a single one table to then print the reports

No comments:

Post a Comment