Thursday, March 22, 2012

A complete uninstall of SQL 2005

I recently re-built my entire system from ground up (new hard drives, OS, etc). I now have the problem of SQL 2005 installed partially, but no way to get the management tools installed. I get an "already installed message when I try". I've never encounted this before on any other SQL install.

Sequence of events. I installed VS 2005 Pro first, then followed by SQL 2005. Somewhere this install didn't work, and I was left with the MS installed thinking I suceeded, yet none of the functions of SQL were worked or more importantly accessable.

I tried to re-install after using the ADD/Remove App from the control panel (which was sucessfull). SQL thought it was still installed. So I uninstalled VS 2005 as well, and deleted any programs in the SQL directory. Then I checked ADD/Remove programs and nothing was showing. The re-install still did not work. My guess is that the registry is still loaded with now useless entries.

Is there any solution left that does not require me to hand delete any SQL registry entries, since that is always a great way to completely kill my system.

Thanks.

Please send email to me and I will forward a script to clean those installed components.

No comments:

Post a Comment