Monday, March 19, 2012

911 Help! Why can't I get a functional version of SQL installed on my machine?

Hello Everyone, I am trying to install SQL 2005 on my machine. All I want is the functionality that I enjoyed with SQL 2000- Query Analyzer and Enterprise Manager. For some reason, the version of SQL 2005 that I am installing is only giving me an option for the Configuration Manger which does not provide access to the Management Console. It is my understanding that I need the Management Console to create databases, look at tables in my databases, etc., etc. just like I did in Enterprise Manager. Is there anyone who can tell me what I'm doing wrong? Currently, the cd that I have says SQL Developer Edition. Thanks.

You have to expressly install the client tools. The default installation only installs the server.|||EM is replaced by SQL Server Management Studio, just for the case you are wondering where the EM is installed :-)

Jens K. Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de|||Hello, your answer was very enlightening and I was able to find the client tools you referenced...another question...did you ever have installation issues? Now, everytime I try and run the installation routine with the client tools, the installation errors out before completing the installation. Any thoughts?|||

A lot of folks experience various kinds of errors.

Please post the errors you are receiving so we can better help you.

|||

Feel free to post any setup related questions to the setup & upgrade forum and include any specific error messages you are seeing.

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)

No comments:

Post a Comment