Sunday, March 25, 2012

A connection to the report server failed

Hello,

I am getting extremely frustrated with this situation. I have two machines that are both connected to the domain and I am logged into both. I also have a W2K3 Server that is hosting SQL Server 2005 Standard. Both desktop machines have SSMS and all machines including server are now SP1. On one machine I can connect to reporting services just fine, but on the other I am getting the following error:

TITLE: Connect to Server

Cannot connect to MEDUSA.


ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A connection to the report server failed. Most likely, you do not have permission to connect to the computer. You should either try to connect using report server URL for the Server name, or if the Distributed COM Users group exists on the remote computer, verify that you are a member. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.RSClient)

Now I can use the machine that cannot connect to this particular server and connect to my other machine just fine and vice versa. I am also having to enter login information each time I am trying to deploy new reports, which wasn't the case before. This happened out of the blue and I have not been able to find a reason for it. I can't connect through using the url either it gives me a 401 unauthorized error. I need to find an answer to this as soon as possible as this is causing me a multitude of issues. I hope someone can help me....thanks in advanced!

For those who are interested the solution is that your profile is corrupt. I tried everything I possibly could until I created a new profile on the machine I was having troubles connecting with. As soon as I did this it worked fine. Something must get funky with the authentication and somehow that is tied to the profile.|||

I was also having the problem of connecting from my xp machine sql management studio to a win2k3 reporting services 2005 and was getting

"can not connect to Report server from SQL SERVER 2005 Management studio error" although if a term served into another machine it would connect just fine and I am a domain admin.

In the end I found and removed the server from my user accounts. At some point i must have added the server to my user accounts under a different name for testing and it was connecting using that account instead of my login account.

Just another place to look if you are having problems connecting.

Hope this helps!!

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment