Sunday, March 25, 2012

A couple of SQL Server Express questions

Hello - I'm about to rebuild my website on a nice new windows 2k3 server. I was previously using SQL server 7 but I'd like to use the 2005 edition.

Here's my first question - is the Express edition 2005 good enough to use on my live web server? Are there limits on the amount of connections at any one time?

My second question is this - what's the best way to connect to SQL Server 2005 Express?

At the moment I would use something like:

Server=.\SQLEXPRESS;Integrated Security=True;Database=myDB

And then I would set up a COMPUTERNAME\ASPNET account under SQL Server 2005 Express.

Is that an ok way to connect??

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Hi,

1) you don't have connection limits with SQl Express. Limitations are related to maximum RAM (1GB), 1 CPU and maximum database size. You can see information also at http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/faq/#sql

2) That means using Windows authentication to connect. That is fine as long as you use this single account (built-in ASp.NET one) to connect to SQL Express, so that you don't provide own login (account) for each user, since that would cause connection pool fragmentation. (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-US/library/8xx3tyca(VS.80).aspx) If you do as you describe here, that's ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment