Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A DOS question! (about aspnet_regsql.exe with paramaters)

I need to setup some asp security databases and I have seen several sets of instructions. Some say "Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727" and some say at the "asp command box". I do know that the directory & file exists on my machine. I have run aspnet_regsql.exe to configure my local server. I now need to run it to configure my web host SQL Server 2005 and that requires some paramaters like "aspnet_regsql.exe -S [DB Server Name] -U [DB login] -P [Password] -A all -d [Database name]". I am old and started before windows. I know DOS. But obviously not well enough.

How do you "Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727"?

If I say "CD\WINDOWS", it works.

When I am at the "C:\WINDOWS>" prompt and say "CD Microsoft.NET" it says "invalid directory"

When I am at the "C:\>" prompt and say "CD\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET" it says "invalid directory"

When I am at the "C:\>" prompt and say "CD\WINDOWS\Micros~1" it says "invalid directory"

Thanks for your help. John Brown

Not much traffic on a DOS question! I figured out a work around.

I copied aspnet_regsql.exe to a directory with a short name (C:\trash) and then ran it from the command prompt. It worked!

John Brown

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment